Pages

Sunday, July 01, 2012

Where in NC is Amy Smith?

June has been a whirlwind month for me.....OK, 2012 has been a whirlwind year.  I want to share the deeper story for you, but I can't seem to word it.  My last post was about chasing the wrong dream.  I have been frazzled and stressed and realized I lost my way.  I put the brakes on and decided to be deliberate and focused on connecting with my family.  I was ready to put my art on the back burner completely if that was the right thing.  Turns out it was not anything so drastic as that.  I am cutting waaaay back on shows.  I only plan to do 1-2 a year here in NC.  What is growing for me is my gallery presence.   That seems to be manageable pursuit while still being the best mom and wife I can be. 

So, I added two new galleries in June while on vacation on the Outer Banks.




The first gallery is a brand new business in Manteo, NC called the Art Village.  It is a tremendously cool location with multiple buildings around a grade/park/courtyard type area.  They plan to have all sorts of special events and classes there and I am really excited to be getting in right at the beginning.


The second new gallery is Island Artworks on Ocracoke Island.  This was my first time on Ocracoke.  My friend Jean Skipper  has been going there for years.  She swears that the island is magic, and I think she may be right.  I was just casually browsing at Island Artworks.  I wasn't even trying to show off my stuff, but my jewelry caught the owners eye and before I could get off the ferry over at Hatteras, she had emailed me an order.  Kathleen O'Neal  owns the gallery and is also a gifted metalsmith.  I am very pleased to be working with her.


While I was on vacation, I also delivered work to Pea Island Gallery in Salvo, NC.  I have been with Pea Island for a couple of years.  The gallery is owned by talented watercolorist Kim Robertson.  It is one of the most beautiful galleries I have ever visited, and I am tickled to be a part of it.

Where else can you find my work in North Carolina?


Swank Coffee and Handmade Market in downtown Southern Pines.  This is my hometown shop and I just love these girls.  Great coffee too!


Carolina Artists' Colony in downtown Sanford on Moore St.  Sandy, the manager, is the best.  This place is so full of art you could wander for hours.  They have a great NC food room too.   


Artful Living Group in Carolina Beach.  This gallery is just a block from the beach.  Great location and beautiful art.



and Just Be in downtown Greensboro.  Just Be has an eclectic mix of local handmade and imported fair trade items.  It is a visual feast.


 So, blessings abound.  It is possible to slow down and focus on what is important.  I am so grateful!







3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so happy for you Amy. Its been way too long, but I am so happy that you are doing what works great for you...and I know, you will be awesome with it. Best, best wishes my friend...Hope to see you soon.

Jean Skipper said...

You've left me longing for a road trip, Amy! You're work is a great addition to so many of my favorite galleries and boutiques, and I'm looking forward to seeing it there in person.

Jennifer said...

Wow how inspirational! Congratulations on finding a beautiful balance between Family and art :)