Pages

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Moving







I am sitting amongst piles and boxes, surrounded by mixed emotion. We have lived here for about four years. Adam was two when we moved here. Messa came home to this place. But now we are leaving. The last time I did this, I was glad to move on. This place has been different. But, it is not where we need to be right now. So, we are moving in to town.


Town means a small rental house on a small lot with neighbors closer than I care for. It also means friends for my children to play with, and short drives to their interests and activities. No wild turkey or coyote will cross my yard, but I can get to the downtown historic district for a cup of coffee at Flynnes and first rate people watching in three minutes. Matt will be able to come home for lunch, and in the evenings he will be home at 5:35, not 6:15. There is a little park right up the road that the kids and I can walk to. I can take the dog, and give her the exercise she needs (me too!) My studio space is in the sun porch on the back of the house. I have lot's of natural light, and I will be able to work late into the evening without feeling isolated like I do in my current studio, which is in a seperate building.
So, we sacrifice. We compromise. We know that in a very short time, the kids will be grown and on their own and we can find a spread somewhere that offers the peace and beauty we have loved here.
Now, don't get me started on the whole packing thing....

3 comments:

Jean Skipper said...

Beautifully said.

When I moved to North Carolina, for the first time in my life I truly understood the meaning of the word, "Bittersweet". For me it's a feeling that deepens as the years pass and life causes me to let go more frequently.

It also reminds me to pause amidst the chaos and really appreciate my life...past present and future.

Jeanne Rhea said...

Sounds like it is a good move for now. I like being out in the country, but I could get into living near a downtown area as long as it was walking distance. Hope the moving and unpacking go well!

Jodi Ohl said...

I agree with Jean, you said it beautifully. How all of our lives are full of compromises and sacrifices but in the end, all you can do is to take the road that you feel is best for you and your family. I'm glad you will be closer and we can maybe get together for a playdate once you are all settled!